Team engagement and team building are rapidly increasing concerns for most sound leaders. The reign of authoritarian leaders is (hopefully) soon gone, leading to a new realm of leadership styles like democratic or laissez-faire.
In addition to this new way of leadership, we also have a new way of working, as working from home is becoming increasingly popular and preferred by most people worldwide. Remote working and teamwork don’t necessarily go hand in hand. Not because people work less from home, quite the opposite, as there are fewer distractions compared to an office environment, people end up engaging more with individual tasks and less with the team. This boosts productivity but decreases teamwork.
What else is it necessary to see your remote team succeed? Read the ultimate guide to managing remote teams efficiently.
Whether this is good or bad for the company, it really depends on the work culture and managers, but regardless of the end goal, a business' success happens thanks to the team effort, not just individuals.
So how can leaders build a strong remote team? Good icebreaker questions are a great way to start.
When working from home, it’s tempting to start meetings right to the main point, especially if everyone is overloaded with work as, in the end, you are really talking to a computer. But beware of this trap, as building a strong team starts by getting to know your team members.
So how can you start an online meeting in a fun and engaging way? We have hand-picked some of the best ice breaker questions that work for our team and our clients.
Fun and Personal Icebreaker Questions
- Do you have siblings? How many?
- Coffee or tea?
- Do you think Rose from titanic is evil?
- What do you do at Christmas?
- Does your car have a name? What is it?
- Do you think aliens exist?
- What embarrass you the most about your parents?
- Do you collect anything?
💡 Pro Tip: Getting to know your team well is great for team building, but recognition works just as good. Celebrate team wins with Kudos.
Pop Culture Icebreaker Questions
- Are you team Android or iOS?
- Do you play BuzzFeed quizzes? Not judging.
- What’s your favorite karaoke song?
- What artists have you seen live?
- What was your favorite cartoon show as a child?
- Who’s your favorite Marvel character?
Food Icebreaker Questions
- What is your favorite type of cuisine?
- Do you need something sweet after every meal?
- Would you rather have ice cream or fried chicken as lunch?
- What do you think about being vegan?
- What type of food do you dislike?
- Does cooking help you relax?
- How of your parents cook better?
- What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?
- Which country has the best cuisine, France or Italy?
- What’s your favorite fast-food chain?
Films, Music, and Book Icebreaker Questions
- What do you listen to when you’re working?
- What’s your favorite film?
- Do you like anime?
- Do you binge-watch Netflix?
- What do you think about concerts in the metaverse?
- What was the best festival you have attended?
- Who’s your favorite band or singer?
- Do you play any instrument?
- What book changed your life?
- What book is on your top reading list?
- What’s the worst book you have read?
Great leaders worry about individual wellbeing. Check out a free mental health check-in.
Hobby and Get-to-Know-You Icebreaker Questions
- Do you play video games?
- Morning or Evening exercise?
- What do you think about meditation?
- What is your favorite sport or physical activity?
- Have you ever done a marathon?
- What do you do on Friday nights?
- What’s the chore you hate doing the most?
- Who’s your best friend?
- Cats or dogs?
- What do you think about people running on Sunday mornings?
- What’s your favorite holiday destination?
Turn team-building initiatives like Icebreaker questions into a habit! Use DailyBot to configure your own questions and smile when people share anecdotes, curiosities, hobbies and fun facts about what happened during their weekend. Start here.