How many virtual meetings have you had where people stare at each other in uncomfortable silence? That’s why it’s common to start a meeting with a personal question like “what did you do over the weekend?” just to get that part out of the way.
But honestly, genuine connections in the workplace make people more committed and ready to go the extra mile. Companies with engaged employees earn 20% more sales.
So how can managers build social tights within their organization? There are many ways to do so, like giving kudos, arranging spaces for watercooler conversations or virtual coffees, and using ice breaker questions.
Starting virtual meetings with icebreaker questions is a creative way to facilitate team bonding. Icebreaker questions aim to create a fun environment for virtual settings and connect coworkers who might feel distant from the company culture.
Looking for ideas to manage remote teams? Here’s the ultimate guide to managing remote teams.
Here are 13 ice breaker questions for virtual meetings:
- Have you ever sang and danced to a Backstreet Boys song?
- Do you think cats are aliens?
- What’s your most used app?
- Do you think coffee to go is a waste of money?
- What’s your favorite comfort food?
- What do you do when you can’t focus?
- The Office US or The Office UK?
- What do you do after you finish working?
- Would your parents understand the work you do right now?
- What’s your favorite work-from-home lunch?
- What would you say to your younger self?
- Who was your celebrity crush as a teenager?
- What’s one weird object in your house/apartment/workstation that you happen to love?
Start implementing these ice breaker questions in your workplace today. You can use DailyBot to configure your own questions and get to know your team better! Start here.