Ben Horowitz once described 1:1 meetings (also spelled as one-on-one or 1-on-1) as the “free-form meeting for all the pressing issues, brilliant ideas, and chronic frustrations that do not fit neatly into status reports, email and other less personal and intimate mechanisms.”
Use 1:1s to build rapport and empathy between teammates. Turn this type of meetings into a habit as a team building exercise.
- What is one thing I can do to make your life better at work?
- What activities at work give you energy these days?
- Would you like more or less feedback on your work? If so, what additional feedback would you like?
- What activities would you consider are not a good use of your time?
- Is there anything else you'd like to mention? If so, please write it down.
Follow this best practice
You can try this best practice yourself and automate it with DailyBot:
Get started here
Learn how to configure this template here:
Configuring your check-ins and follow-ups with our Templates